Sri Lanka Players Refuse to Shake Hands with Bangladesh Opponents After World Cup Match
In a shocking display of sportsmanship, Sri Lankan players refused to shake hands with their Bangladeshi opponents after their Cricket World Cup match on Monday, November 6, 2023.
The incident occurred after the match, which Bangladesh won by 3 wickets. As the Bangladesh players were celebrating their victory, the Sri Lankan players walked off the field without shaking hands.
Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews was later asked about the incident, and he explained that the team was upset with the way the Bangladeshi players had appealed for a timed-out dismissal of Mathews during the match.
“We were not happy with the way they appealed for my timed-out dismissal,” Mathews said. “We felt that it was unnecessary and disrespectful.”
Also Read –
- Pakistan Captain Criticizes Virat Kohli’s Batting Mohammad Hafeez Said “sense of selfishness” in the Indian batter’s approach
- Shakib Al Hasan Defends Decision to Appeal for Angelo Mathews Timed Out Dismissal
- Babar Azam to become Prime Minister if Pakistan win the World Cup
- Australia vs Afghanistan: Who Will Win Today’s Match? Match Prediction
Mathews also said that the Sri Lankan players had decided not to shake hands with the Bangladeshi players as a way of expressing their displeasure.
“We decided not to shake hands with them as a way of showing our disappointment,” Mathews said. “We think that they should have shown more respect for us.”
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has since condemned the Sri Lankan players’ actions, and it is expected that the team will face sanctions.
🚨BREAKING NEWS – #ICC Condemns Sri Lankan Players’ Actions and Possible #Sanctions for Sri Lankan Team 😱😱😱#BANvsSL #AngeloMathews #TimeOut #ShakibAlHasan #ICCCricketWorldCup #CWC2023 #AUSvsAFG #BCCI https://t.co/dqoJ9yX84w
— Ruby Jaan (@professor_ji0) November 7, 2023
ICC Condemns Sri Lankan Players’ Actions
The ICC has issued a statement condemning the actions of the Sri Lankan players.
“The ICC is very disappointed with the actions of the Sri Lankan players after their match against Bangladesh,” the statement read. “Shaking hands is a fundamental part of the game of cricket, and it is a way of showing respect to your opponents.”
The statement went on to say that the ICC will be investigating the incident and that it is expected that the Sri Lankan team will face sanctions.
Possible Sanctions for Sri Lankan Team
The ICC could impose a number of sanctions on the Sri Lankan team for their actions. These sanctions could include:
- A fine
- A points deduction in the Cricket World Cup
- A suspension from future ICC events
It is also possible that the ICC could ban individual players from participating in future ICC events.
Also Read –
- Exciting Developments in Crypto ETFs | WILL SHOCK CRYPTO!
- The Next Big Wave in The World of Crypto | Billionaires Are Buying!! Finding 100x Cryptos
- How Much Bitcoin Do You Need to Secure Wealth? The Most Scarce and Valuable Asset
The Sri Lankan players’ actions were a disgrace to the game of cricket. They showed a complete lack of sportsmanship and respect for their opponents.
The ICC is right to condemn the Sri Lankan players’ actions, and it is important that the team is held accountable for their behavior.