Sri Lanka and Bangladesh players refused to shake hands with each other after their match at the 2023 Cricket World Cup on Monday, November 6. The match was marred by a controversial dismissal, which many Sri Lankan players believe was unfair.
The incident occurred in the 25th over of the Sri Lankan innings, when Angelo Mathews was dismissed for “timed out.” Mathews was due to bat next, but he was delayed by a problem with his helmet strap. The 12th man ran to retrieve a new helmet, but by the time Mathews was ready to bat, more than three minutes had elapsed since the previous dismissal.
Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan appealed for Mathews to be timed out, and the umpires agreed. Mathews was given out without facing a ball, and he had to leave the field without any opportunity to bat.
— Ruby Jaan (@professor_ji0) November 7, 2023
The timed-out rule is in place to keep the game moving. However, many Sri Lankan players believe that the rule was applied unfairly in this case. They argue that Mathews should not have been given out without facing a ball, especially since the delay was caused by a problem with his equipment.
After the match, Sri Lankan players refused to shake hands with the Bangladeshi players. This is a rare occurrence in cricket, and it is a sign of the deep tension that exists between the two teams.
Also Read –
- Rashmika Mandanna’s Deepfake Video Goes Viral
- Cricket World Cup 2023 Big Controversy 1st Time In 146 Years! Angelo Mathews Unusual Dismissal
- Was Virat Kohli ‘selfish’? Cricket World Cup 2023: India beat New Zealand to go top
- Exciting Developments in Crypto ETFs | WILL SHOCK CRYPTO!
- The Next Big Wave in The World of Crypto | Billionaires Are Buying!! Finding 100x Cryptos
- How Much Bitcoin Do You Need to Secure Wealth? The Most Scarce and Valuable Asset
The incident is also a reminder of the importance of sportsmanship. Even though the two teams were engaged in a competitive match, they should have shown respect for each other at the end of the game.
It is unclear whether any disciplinary action will be taken against the Sri Lankan players for their refusal to shake hands. However, the incident has certainly tarnished the image of the Cricket World Cup.